NSIIP creates resources to support community stakeholders working in settlement, integration, diversity, and inclusion. Many of our resources are designed to provide at-a-glance information about newcomers’ experience in North Shore, and outline suggestions for building inclusive spaces in our communities and workplaces.
All of our work is guided by feedback from our partners and community stakeholders. If you have any suggestions or comments about our resources, please let us know at email@example.com.
Jump to a resource category:
Multilingual Community Services
- Translation and Interpretation (2021): Information on translation and interpretation services.
- Multilingual COVID Resources (2020): Important resources and information on health, mental health, and other topics related to COVID-19.
- Legal Resources Fact Sheet (2020): Organizations providing legal services, information, and support on the North Shore, in Vancouver, and online.
- North Shore Immigration Quick Look (2018): Demographic profile of North Shore municipalities’ diverse residents, including residents’ top 20 places of birth (for each municipality)
- NewToBC City of North Van Immigrant Demographic Profiles (2018): Developed by NewToBC, provides comprehensive facts and figures around immigrants in City of North Vancouver. Also available: District of North Van and District of West Van.
- North Shore English Language Learners (ELL) Interactive Map (2018): Based on the data obtained from the BC Ministry of Education K-12 Reporting Group, provides an at-a-glance view of the percentage (%) of ELL students relative to each school’s overall student population. It also provides top 10 non-English languages spoken at home for both ELL and non-ELL students. Also available as a PDF with top 3 non-English languages
- Diverse North Shore Interactive Map (2018): Based on 2016 census data release and broken down into North Shore’s most recognizable neighbourhood geographies, this map shows demographic data on newcomers (those who arrived to North Shore between 2011 and 2016), overall immigrant population, and immigrant children and seniors. Also available as PDF.
- Immigrant Seniors & Children (2018): Based on 2016 census data release and organized by five major regions: City of North Vancouver, District of North Vancouver, District of West Vancouver, Bowen Island, and Lions Bay. This info sheet contains information on the recent number of immigrant seniors and children, relative percentage to the total population, and top countries of origin.
Social Media Outreach to Newcomers
- Report from Pilot at the North Shore Multicultural Society (2017): Outlines the processes, results, and considerations (hardware & software, usage needs, parameters) of using WeChat and Telegram to reach Mandarin and Farsi-speaking immigrants.
- Expanding Immigrant Engagement through Social Media (2017): Based on consultations with NSIIP Immigrant Advisory Council, a list of recommendations for social media outreach to recent immigrants.
Diversity in the Workplace
- Diversity Trainers: An ongoing inventory of diversity trainers and consultants, from basic cross-cultural communication and diversity training to deeper, long-term change management and coaching.
- Increasing Diverse Representation on Boards (2017): Detailed tip sheet for increasing diversity on leadership boards, committees, and councils.
- Discrimination in the Workplace (2019): Provides resources for supporting employees, customers, and clients who may have been impacted by racism or discrimination.
- Immigrants and the North Shore Labour Market (2017): Based on 2015 data of WorkBC Client Profile, gives an at-a-glance view of immigrant demographic and the North Shore labour market.
- Ramadan (2018): Information about the holiday and guidelines for creating inclusive service and work environments. Created by NSMS.
- Norooz/Nowruz (2021): Information booklet.
- Lunar New Year (2020): Information booklet.
- Mid-Autumn Festival (2020): Information booklet.
- Festival of Lights (2017): Poster of celebrations across cultures. Created by NSMS.
- New Years Celebrations (2017): Poster of celebrations across cultures. Created by NSMS.